September 26, 2019 – The 8th annual South Okanagan Drive Thru blew past the fundraising goal thanks to the incredible support of local corporate sponsors, workplaces, pre-orders and Drive Thru guests. We reached $25,134 surpassing last year record by over $2000. The event was a great success as we sold out of all 110o bags by 9 a.m. Thanks Penticton for showing your local love!
Thanks to the generosity of the Penticton Lakeside Resort who’s President and CEO Craig Prystay topped up the donations to get us over the mark. The Prystay’s own the Ramada Hotel in Kelowna and the Lakeside and have provided incredible support to the United Way through the Drive Thru events in both communities throughout the years.
Special thanks to the extraordinary support of the Penticton Lakeside Resort and the following key sponsors:
- Bag sponsor: IGA
- Gold sponsors: Cascades Casino, Cobs Bread, Nature’s Fare Markets, Grant Media, Murray GMC, Tim Hortons, Penticton Speedway, Print Factory, PURE Gym and Juicery.
- Media sponsors: Castanet, EZ Rock and Sun FM, Global Okanagan, Penticton Herald
- Media coverage:
- Castanet: Drive Thru raises $25K
- Global Okanagan: Penticton breakfast event raises $25,134 for United Way
- Penticton Herald: Drive Thru raises $25,134
- Penticton Now: United Way Breakfast reaches record breaking total despite foul weather
- Penticton Western News: South Okanagan breakfast donations over the top
This year, Drive Thru guests were treated to several new goodies as part of their Drive Thru experience:
- 1000 Adult breakfast bags and 100 kids bags stuffed with donated fresh food including a banana, Nutrigrain bar and Mott’s AppleSauce all from IGA, SunRype beverage orsnack, Old Dutch chips, freshly picked Apple from the Apple Barn and much more!
- Fantastic special offers from our sponsors were included in each bag plus 50+ Grand prizes will be randomly placed in the bags ranging in value from $10 to $1000! Some of the grand prizes were:
- The Drive Thru experience included a grocery bag from IGA, water from London Drugs, coffee and treats from Tim Hortons, a delicious jumbo cinnamon bun from the Lakeside, Penticton Herald newspaper, and the Penticton Vees hockey team were handing out tickets and doing selfies in the lineup. ALERT also handed out Dog and cat treats to cars with furry friends!
- Pre-orders and online donations were again an option this year and many companies took advantage of this time-saving option including Canada Revenue Agency employees who purchased 120 bags! A total of $2300 went in the pot. Thanks to CRA, our #1 workplace campaign in the South Okanagan.
If you were planning on donating and couldn’t make it, you can still donate at: www.SouthOkDriveThru.com
Still want to get involved or take action? Visit: http://unitedwaysibc.com/locallove to see how you can make local issues #UNIGNORABLE!
About United Way SIBC: